The eSense Temperature is a small sensor for measuring your skin temperature with the microphone input of your smartphone or tablet (Android or Apple iOS.)
A free app by Mindfield® is included to display your skin temperature in different ways for biofeedback training. You can export the measured values via e-mail.
Handwarming training is an especially effective and common biofeedback method. The temperature of our hands is connected to our stress level: When we are stressed, we tend to have cold hands.
The eSense Temperature sensor is attached to your index or middle finger, or held between index finger and thumb. Immediate feedback enables you to voluntarily increase the skin temperature in your fingers, thus increasing your peripheral blood circulation, leading to relaxation and stress reduction.
This is an easy and effective training to improve your well-being!
Background information on Skin Temperature
The skin’s surface temperature changes according to blood circulation through body tissue. The small blood vessels (arterioles) crossing through the tissue are surrounded by fibers of smooth muscle controlled by the sympathetic nervous system.
In a state of increased exertion, excitement and stress, these muscle fibers contract and narrow the blood vessels. This leads to a reduction of skin temperature because blood circulation through the tissue is reduced. By contrast, in a resting or calm state, the muscles relax and the blood vessels expand. The skin temperature rises.
Mental stress often leads to a lower peripheral perfusion and a decrease in skin temperature at the hands. From an evolutionary point of view, this stress reaction serves to prepare us to “fight or flight” in a physically threatening environment because a maximum amount of blood is concentrated in the working muscles.
Conscious control of physiological stress can help you react more relaxed and more efficiently to many situations. Biofeedback is an established way to learn this kind of control.
Reduce your stress level effectively with the eSense Skin Temperature everywhere with your Android or iOS device!
Using the eSense Temperature
- After buying the eSense Temperature, please download our free app from the App Store (Apple) or Google Play (Android). You can download and try out the app without the sensor. (The app will deliver meaningless values in this case.)
- Hold the sensor between your index finger and thumb or fix it to a finger with the tape included.
- Connect the eSense Temperature to the microphone input of your device.
- Start the App, read the included instructions on biofeedback training and start using your eSense.
- Skin temperature also depends on the environment temperature, so it is important to make measurements in consistently similar surroundings and to wait a few minutes before beginning training so that a steady “resting” temperature can be established.
- Have fun!
Which devices are supported?
- Apple® iPhone® (3GS and higher)
- Apple® iPad® (first generation and higher)
- Apple® iPod touch® (fourth generation and higher)
- Android Smartphones and Tablets (Version 2.3 or higher)
- Mindfield® eSense Temperature Sensor
- Velcro®-tape for attaching the sensor
- Free App by Mindfield® from the App Store or Google Play
- Detailed instructions for effective biofeedback training.
Training instructions are also available in PDF format here!
Mindfield eTemp $ 99.00